Author Topic: ATK on CRAY XC Series  (Read 3024 times)

Offline ruyam

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
ATK on CRAY XC Series
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:37 »
Dear QW Staff,

Trying to set up a computation lab for ATK, so needed a few information on its working and efficiency with various system.

1) I would like to know whether ATK is tested on CRAY XC Series supercomputing architecture?
2) It would be great if you would give me some idea on how does ATK computation time scale with respect to available number of cores.
3) Somewhere on the forum I read that for an 8GB system, around 500-600 atoms can be computed. So, does this scale linearly?  Does the capacity to compute structures with large number of atoms increase linearly with the available RAM?

Thanks

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: ATK on CRAY XC Series
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 15:00 »
Hi.

That sounds very interesting. Let me try to answer your questions:

1) ATK uses Intel MKL for matrix operations. Provided that the CRAY XC series offer MKL, the ATK software should work well on such a system.

2) The ATK computation time vs. number of CPUs depends very much on the type of system you are considering. For bulk calculations with DFT we parallelize efficiently over k-points and more, but at some point the Hartree potential will start hurting you. For device calculations, we take advantage of sparse methods and k-point parallelization to drive down the time per SCF step. Obviously, device calculations with semi-empirical methods will scale differently than with DFT.

3) The number of atoms than can be computed with 8 GB available RAM will depend a lot on a) the physical system (which elements? how big a supercell? etc.), and b) the DFT method (how many basis functions per atom? should the calculation be spin-polarized, noncolinear, or include spin-orbit interactions? etc.). The scaling is not gonna be linear. It will most likely be quadratic wrt. total number of basis functions in the calculations. The curse of matrix algebra  :)

What sort of systems are you thinking of running? It would be easier to estimate the scaling you will get if you could provide an example of a calculation (in private if support@quantumwise.com is used).

Best,
Jess

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: ATK on CRAY XC Series
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:59 »
The XC series uses Xeon processors, so that will work fine. ATK ships its own MKL libraries, there is no need for the system to have them installed already.