Author Topic: netcdf file open  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Heinz

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
netcdf file open
« on: July 28, 2015, 05:39 »
Dear friends,

Is there a program to open nc files generated in ATK for looking at the I-V curve data calculated?

Best

Offline Shan

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
Re: netcdf file open
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 08:18 »
There is no need for any program to visualize the IV plot. You can directly visualize the IV curve in atk. or you can export the curve data and plot it in outside packages such as Origin or even in excel.

why do you need to a program.. are you intending to move the NC file from latest version to a older version?

Offline Heinz

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 09:02 »
Dear Shant

Thanks. Yes I want to move between different versions. Is there any program to view nc files?

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile

Offline Heinz

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:30 »
Ah, yes! There's something called google!

I asked it because the programs listed at the top of a google search do not properly open ATK nc files. Have you ever used any of them, Mr. Wellendorff?

It is just rude to post a google search link on a product support forum. Just repells people from your product. If you have an answer as a QW staff, please post it, otherwise no need to show how smart you are by showing your customers that there's someting called google.

I'm  still expecting answers from real QW staff like Dr. Blom, etc.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:01 »
Dear Heinz,

I don't think it's rude to post a Google link, they can be quite helpful. I'm talking generally here - many questions asked on the Forum here can actually be answered by googling, so forgive us for trying to take shortcuts sometimes, it's a lot of work answering all questions here!

Also, I think you should take a look at the timestamps of the answers - I believe Jess posted his answer without seeing your follow-up post, and just going by the original post, it is a generic question which could have a generic answer. In the future, it might be a good idea to put a bit more details in the original post, it saves time and energy for all :)

As for tools to open NC files, we have no experience with that, actually, as we have not seen any need to use anything but ATK for the purpose. But I believe it will not be possible for you to move data between versions yourself; even if the file from the old version can be read, you will probably not be able to write a valid NC file for the new version, since there are way too many tags and keywords required, and this is not documented.

It's probably a much more fruitful path forward to look at what the actual problem is. The point is, that we try quite hard to ensure that NC files from old versions can be read in new versions of ATK (but not the opposite, naturally). So if you have a NC file that doesn't open, let's focus on that and figure out why.

So, let's keep the tone here civil, as we are all friends and nobody posts answers except with the purpose to help. If the answer is not so helpful, you can point that out, but there is no need to assume that anyone is less than 100% committed to providing good assistance, even if the answers are short sometimes. I also may post a Google link now and then, it doesn't imply that we think you don't know what Google is (if so, we would send you to http://tinyurl.com/22c6t  ;) ).

Finally, could you send me (privately, if you so choose) your affiliation, since I can't map your email to a specific customer account. It's just nice to know who is who, to make things a bit more personal.

Regards,
Anders Blom

Offline Heinz

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 13:42 »
Dear Anders,

Thank you for your response.

In principle, I think a product forum should differ from a general forum like physicsforums.org. Hence I reacted the way I did. In my opinion, support people could give more definite answers even to very simple questions since beginners to your product may not even know to build a water molecule. And it's normal.

I'm getting help for various academic software I use including Agilent and Suprem. and have never been given a google link.  Of course it is the way you choose as CCO and your team about how to deal with customer questions. But as you know your treatment of your customers determines the future of your product. Most of the jobs ATK does can be done by Transiesta (installing and using takes much longer for the beginners) hence we know that the difference of using a commercial product vs a free one is the expectation of the quality of support.

In the earliest times of this forum support was better (5 years ago) but now simple questions (this depends on the answering person) are treated as unnecessary and spam and just given a google link. Please take these comments as constructive and friendly and civil.

Thanks.

Offline Shan

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 20:03 »
OMG....   :o

What a Hot discussion between my friends.

Dear Heinz,

In general, the NC files generated using older version works in upper versions... but the converse is not always possible as code changes happens in the newer versions which can not be supported by older versions.

I do like to tell you a way to move the structure, about which U might have already aware of.

You can move the structure (configuration) among all the versions by saving it as a python file (.py).   

coming to results... U better save the plots instantly or keep the exported data of plots to plot them in third party packages such as origin.

Have a wonderful evening.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 20:06 by Shant »

Offline Heinz

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 09:51 »
Thanks Shant.

Have a good day.