Author Topic: number of K points vs number of cpus  (Read 2617 times)

Offline yasheng

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
number of K points vs number of cpus
« on: September 3, 2016, 21:53 »
Hi All,

I am using 2016 ATK. In one of my calculation, the number or symmetry reduced k-points is 50, and I used 24 cpus for doing the calculation.

And I got this warning in my output file:

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| DiagonalizationSolver parallelization report.                                |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Total number of processes: 24                                                |
| Total number of k-points: 50                                                 |
| Processes per k-point: 1                                                     |
| Number of process groups: 24                                                 |
| WARNING: Sub-optimal distribution of processes over k-points.                |
| For optimal performance make sure the number of processes is                 |
| a multiple of the number of k-points times processes_per_kpoint.             |
| 22 process(es) have fewer k-points assigned than others                      |
| and will be partially idle.                                                  |

Does this mean that I am only using 2 cpus? and 22 others are idle and wasted?
Should I use 50 cpus for this calculation to do 1 cpu for 1 kpoint?   What if I don't have that many cpus available ?

Can you explain in detail how to do this and not wasting our time and computational resources?

Thank you,

Yasheng

« Last Edit: September 3, 2016, 21:55 by yasheng »

Offline Daniele Stradi

• Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: number of K points vs number of cpus
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2016, 09:29 »
Dear Yasheng,

the report from DiagonalizationSolver indicates that you are running on 24 cpus, and k-points parallelization is switched off so that each of the 50 k-points is solved by all the 24 cpus.

You can turn on k-points parallelization by adding the flag "processes_per_kpoint=N_processes_per_kpoint" in the DiagonalizationSolver entry in your python input file. As the warning indicates, for optimal performance, the number of  cpus (N_cpus) should be a multiple of the number of  processes per kpoint (N_processes_per_kpoint) times the number of k-points (N_kpoints).

Example nr. 1 :

N_cpus = 12
N_kpoints = 6
N_processes_per_kpoint = 2

In this case, each of the 6 k-point will be solved by 2 processes, and all k-points will be solved simultaneously.

Example nr. 2 :

N_cpus = 12
N_kpoints = 12
N_processes_per_kpoint = 2

In this case, the first half of k-points (6 k-points) will be solved simultaneously by 2 processes, then the second half (6 k-points) will be solved.

Regards,
Daniele.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2016, 11:06 »
In the 2016 version the "processes per k-points" should be automatic, so perhaps you have in your script actively turned it off (or rather, set it to 1)?

Offline Ulrik G. Vej-Hansen

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 6, 2016, 12:53 »
Just to clarify the meaning of your original message: The program will first solve 24 k-points using one process each. It will then solve another 24 k-points using one process each. Finally, it will solve the remaining two k-points using one process each, and in this time, 22 processes will be idle. So 22 processes will only be idle in approximately 1/3 of the time. This is still a sub-optimal distribution, but the program does not leave 22 cpu's idle. That is why the message says "partially idle".

Offline yasheng

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 7, 2016, 11:58 »
That is more clear now. Thank you all.