Author Topic: Wrong result as per theoretical formula  (Read 1958 times)

Offline debashishdashnits

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Wrong result as per theoretical formula
« on: April 5, 2017, 16:17 »
Hello to all,

I am working on Cubical material and trying to find out elastic constants . As per formula available in different papers, I correctly found bulk and shear moduli which also matches with simulation results. But Young's modulus, I am getting wrong. As per theory, the formula is (Y=9BG/G+3B). When I am putting data's in this, getting wrong results. Any one knows any other formula or Whether quantumwise uses some other formula???

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong result as per theoretical formula
« Reply #1 on: April 5, 2017, 22:21 »
I am not sure I have understood your question. Have you calculated the elasticity tensor (elastic constants) in ATK? Do the obtained elastic constants agree with experiment?

Offline Julian Schneider

• QuantumATK Staff
  • QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong result as per theoretical formula
« Reply #2 on: April 6, 2017, 09:27 »
VNL calculates the Young's modulus as Y_i = 1/S_ii  (i=x,y,z) where S is the inverse of the elastic constants matrix.
We do not calculate the bulk modulus and the shear modulus directly, but from the elastic constants, as well. Since there are several conventions how to do this exactly (Hill, Voigt, Reuss) which all use slightly different formulas, it is more straightforward to calculate the Young's modulus from the elastic compliance matrix, since that does not rely on any of these conventions.