Author Topic: How to build a MTJ device with different oxide 'stack'?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline bikash

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
I wish to build a MTJ device for certain simulation and tried using the existing plugin of Fe-MgO but I couldn't build one with a different oxide 'stack' as only single oxide layer was possible. How do I replace the oxide with a oxide 'stack' of different combination.

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: How to build a MTJ device with different oxide 'stack'?
« Reply #1 on: April 6, 2017, 10:56 »
The MTJ plugin in the Builder allows you building a specific junction type (metal-insulator-metal) indeed.

Building a general structure can be done using other Builder tools. In principle, you can build any structure in the Builder. For example, you may build a multilayer oxide structure using the Interface plugin by adding oxide layers in a step-by-step manner, see http://docs.quantumwise.com/tutorials/ag_au_interface/ag_au_interface.html for how to use the Interface plugin, and then match the oxide heterostructure to the Fe electrodes, using the same Interface plugin.

Note that you need to consider optimizing the separation distance between the neighboring oxide layers, as well as between the oxide stack and metal electrode. This can be done in a set of separate calculations for individual interfaces, and then building the entire structure of the MTJ device. Afterwards, you may still do additional geometry optimization of the entire central part of the device, if needed.

Offline bikash

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Re: How to build a MTJ device with different oxide 'stack'?
« Reply #2 on: April 6, 2017, 11:52 »
Thank you Sir. I will follow the instructions and try to get the results and in case of any queries will contact again.