Author Topic: parall in Windows XP system  (Read 9957 times)

Offline Roc

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
parall in Windows XP system
« on: March 6, 2010, 11:03 »
Dear all,
    I have the question that, can ATK do the calculation in parall on Windows XP system? If yes, how to deploy it?

thank you!

Offline Nordland

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: parall in Windows XP system
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2010, 16:10 »
The ATK 2008.10 does not run in parallel under Windows, however it threads automatically, so it is rarely needed since there are not many windows clusters out there.

The new ATK 2010.02 does run in parallel under Windows ( including threading ) and this is done in the exact same way as under Linux.

Offline John

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2011, 15:43 »
Dear Sir,
    I want to know now whether can the newest version ATK11.2 do the calculation in parall on Windows XP system? If yes, how to carry out? (My PC is one Four-core Windows XP SP3 system)
    Thanks!

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2011, 17:42 »
Download and install MPICH2 from http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/ After that you can just run essentially
Code
mpiexec -n 4 atkpython script.py
For more information, see the parallel guide. Do note, however, that each MPI process uses the same amount of memory. So, if the calculation consumes 1 GB in serial, you will need 4 GB to run it with 4 parallel processes on the same machine. Also, MPI parallelization over cores can sometimes be slower than running in serial and letting ATK thread over the cores (as it does automatically on Windows). But you can experiment and find the optimal way for your system. And finally, you will need ATK slave licenses to run in parallel over MPI. Threading is "free" and just needs a master license.