Author Topic: Graphyne  (Read 3153 times)

Offline NW

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Graphyne
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:41 »
Hello,
I have recently calculated the bandstrucutre, DOS and transmission of a Graphyne by DFT-1/2 method. The output results show a 0.2eV band gap in DOS and transmission but in bandsturture  I got 0.77eV! Why the values of the band gap are not equal?  I attached the results.

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Graphyne
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 16:43 »
It might be that the (in)direct band gap is at some other k-point(s), not the ones you used for plotting the band structure.

Offline NW

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 14:32 »
Thanks Petr.
So how can I fix it? I used different k-points such as 1, 17, 15 or 1, 18, 16 or 1, 23, 21 but the output band structure did not change.

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 16:20 »
It is not about the number of k-points, but rather the k-point routes in the Brillouin zone that were used to compute the band structure. Could you post the script related to this calculation?

Offline NW

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 17:14 »
Yes for sure.

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 13:33 »
You should have set the lattice type of your structure to Simple Monoclinic in the Builder: Bulk Tools->Lattice Parameter, and then use the Band Structure analysis object that would set a correct path corresponding to the lattice type of your 2D crystal. In your script, no specific lattice type was set.

The second thing is that you have not used  a sufficient number of k-points for DOS calculations; it should be increased significantly, see Appendix in Phys. Rev. B 87, 075414 (2013) for clarification of the issue. In fact, the band gap of your system is vanishing, i.e., close to zero, similarly to graphene.

Enclosed you can find the script with the corrections I have mentioned. 

Offline NW

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 18:25 »
Thanks again Petr for useful advice. I have learned a lot of new things in this simple example. :) :)

Just  I want to know why did you choose Simple Monoclinic?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 18:59 by NW »

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 10:27 »
Just  I want to know why did you choose Simple Monoclinic?

This is because your structure corresponds to this Bravais lattice type, judging from the lattice vectors specified in your python script (which can also be seen in the Builder->Bulk Tools-> Lattice parameters), see the following paper describing all the Bravais lattice types (e.g., their lattice vectors) and related Brillouin zones (BZs) and special points in the BZ,   Computational Materials Science 49 (2010) 299–312.