Author Topic: Unattended installation of ATK  (Read 12479 times)

Offline olas

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Unattended installation of ATK
« on: May 26, 2010, 13:29 »
Hi, I need to find the switches and values to make my ATK install unattended/silent, so I can deploy it from my SCCM server (without having to make an MSI file). I can find a list of switches:
Code
Atomistix ToolKit 2010.02 2010.02
Usage:

--help                         Display the list of valid options

--version                      Display product information

--optionfile <optionfile>      Installation option file
                                Default: 

--unattendedmodeui <unattendedmodeui> Unattended Mode UI
                                Default: none
                                Allowed: none minimal minimalWithDialogs

--debuglevel <debuglevel>      Debug information level of verbosity
                                Default: 2
                                Allowed: 0 1 2 3 4

--mode <mode>                  Installation mode
                                Default: win32
                                Allowed: win32 unattended

--debugtrace <debugtrace>      Debug filename
                                Default: 

--installer-language <installer-language> Language selection
                                Default: 
                                Allowed: en ar ca nl et fr de el es he hu it ja pl pt_BR pt ro ru sl zh_TW zh_CN va cy

--prefix <prefix>              Installation Directory
                                Default: C:\Program Files/QuantumWise/atk-2010.02

--license_configuration <license_configuration> Choose one of the options below
                                Default: standalone
                                Allowed: standalone floating manual

--license_file <license_file>  License file
                                Default: 

But no matter what combination I use, I either get an error, or the installation simply starts in GUI default mode. Could anyone please help me find a way to make this installation unattended? Cheers olas

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Unattended installation of ATK
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 13:47 »
Try
Code
atk-2010.02.4038-windows.exe --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --license_configuration manual
However, in this case you will have to set up the license environment separately. Otherwise use something like
Code
atk-2010.02.4038-windows.exe --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --license_configuration standalone --license_file c:\temp\license.lic
where the file c:\temp\license.lic should exist and be the license file (it will be copied to the installation directory). For floating with auto-detect of a license server:
Code
atk-2010.02.4038-windows.exe --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --license_configuration floating
We haven't played around with this so much, so let us know if it works, esp. regarding the license configuration. (Actually, I couldn't get it to work with standalone in this way, but this could be because I used Cygwin to run it, and it didn't like my backslashes. Try forward slashes instead!)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 13:52 by Anders Blom »

Offline olas

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 13:56 »
Thanks Anders,

I'll look in to that, and return later with some feedback.

Cheers

Offline olas

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2010, 12:43 »
Sorry for my late reply.. But my to-do list is just out of dimensions. I tried to use the combinations of switches you suggested, as well as some combinations of my own, and it looks like it’s easy to get a successful installation, or at least I don’t get any errors doing the installation.   This is what I used in the test setup:
Code
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Quantum Wise - ATK\atk-2010.02.4185-windows.exe" --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --license_configuration standalone --license_file "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Quantum Wise - ATK\demo_2010.02_31Jul.lic"
But no matter what combinations I use, the program “hangs”, and reply with this error every time I try to run it: The only way to kill it, is through the Task Manager, where it is shown as “Not Responding” I use a License file called “demo_2010.02_31Jul.lic”. A one month evaluation license, which you have provided to an employee here at Technical University of Denmark (I can give you he’s name in private if necessary), But as you see above, I get an error when I try to run the program. First I thought my license file was corrupt, but if I use the default installation method (GUI), and point at the same license file, it works like a charm! Which confuses me a bit? So my guess is: Either I use a wrong combination of switches, or the installer has a flaw. Or could it be that the installer, using a .lic file, isn’t able to handle long filenames, or installations in folders containing a space in the folder name? I have seen that before. If you have any ideas, or know a way to fix this problem, please let me know. Cheers olas

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2010, 13:01 »
I also have the suspicion that the installer doesn't manage to copy the license file properly when using the unattended mode. One thing I do know about the installer software is that it uses "/" instead of "\" even on Windows, when you define paths internally in it. So before we give up completely, perhaps you can try
Code
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Quantum Wise - ATK\atk-2010.02.4185-windows.exe" --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --license_configuration standalone --license_file "C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Quantum Wise - ATK/demo_2010.02_31Jul.lic"
Also, see my separate mail to you!
« Last Edit: June 3, 2010, 13:06 by Anders Blom »

Offline olas

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2010, 14:06 »
Ok thanks.. I'll start to replace the "\" with "/", and have a look at your mail.

/olas

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2010, 14:27 »
You can also skip setting the license in the installer and define the license afterwards. That is, use the "manual" option for the installer:
Code
atk-2010.02.4185-windows.exe --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --license_configuration manual
Then, copy the license file manually to each machine, and use setx to define the license environment. Either use
Code
setx LSHOST no-net /M
setx LSERVRC "C:\licenses\atk_license.atk" /M
locally (the license file path could also refer to a network location which is mounted on all clients!), or configure the clients remotely:
Code
setx /S client01 /U administrator /P adminPasSworD LSHOST no-net /M
setx /S client01 /U administrator /P adminPasSworD LSERVRC "C:\licenses\atk_license.atk" /M
where the "/S" option is used to connect to each machine from the server. This might require some special permissions. Note: The "/M" option makes the variable defined for all users (system variable); default is for current user only.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2010, 14:29 by Anders Blom »

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #7 on: June 7, 2010, 11:04 »
Just a small update. It has been discovered that the license file selection doesn't work properly when using the unattended mode. The license file specification is, nevertheless, mandatory... (the file doesn't have to exist, however :) ) So, in summary: To install unattended, use
Code
atk-2010.02.4185-windows.exe --mode unattended --license_configuration manual --license-file whatever
If you are using a floating license server (which is strongly recommended in this case!) you shouldn't actually need any further client configuration. If you need to use a node-locked license, you must set up the environment variables on the clients as discussed in the previous post.