Author Topic: Parallel computing  (Read 2630 times)

Offline soulsai

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Parallel computing
« on: June 5, 2010, 14:01 »
dir professor,
Could ATK 2010.02 provide parallel computing like ATK 2008? And how ? With MPI and MKL ?

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Parallel computing
« Reply #1 on: June 6, 2010, 00:00 »
The preview version 2010.02 is only parallelized for transmission spectrum, plus that it utilizes OpenMP threading for the MKL library.

Next week we plan to release a new package. It's a beta-version of the final major upgrade ATK 10.8, which will replace both 2010.02 and 2008.10. That version is fully parallel.

Offline hellboy

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 15:31 »
Dear Sir,

I have a AMD opteron server machine which has two separate dual core processors (AMD 280) on a single motherboard. I mean the mother board has two sockets ie., one for each processor. Both processor have separate RAM (4 GB each). Will it be beneficial to run simulation in parallel using MPICH2 or shall I restrict myself to multithreading with MKL?

I don't know much but i have read the forum topics on parallel computing and i think my machine should behave as a cluster of two processors.

I use ATK 2008.10.

Looking for your expert comments...

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 14:01 »
With this setup it's definitely worth giving MPI a go. I think you should expect a clear speed-up and I think it might be larger than that of threading, but as our quite new Parallel Guide explains, the precise benefit will however depend on the system you are calculation.