Author Topic: vnl memory???  (Read 2450 times)

Offline jdgayles16

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
vnl memory???
« on: June 9, 2010, 22:58 »
I have 8 gb of ram is there anyway to get vnl to us all of it, I feel like it is using using some of the ram. Im using 64-bit cent OS.

*** its using about 2.5 -3 gb. i upgraded from windows which had 4 gb but it was only using 1 gb. Im using vnl 2008.10 sorry!! =(

Thanks
Jacob

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: vnl memory???
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 00:44 »
Such things are not really controlled by the applications any more, but rather the OS. You need a 64-bit OS to use all the RAM in such a machine.

Also, you cannot really tell how much VNL "uses". It USED 3 Gb before it reached the point where it asked for more than was available. But in modern applications RAM is allocated dynamically; there isn't a predefined size reserved for VNL.

However, the problem I know you are facing unfortunately isn't really solved by having a lot more memory, but is related to poor memory handling in VNL itself. The data you need to manage is much smaller than 1 Gb, but VNL 2008.10 makes several internal copies, ramping up the total RAM usage way too much. These things will be taken care properly of in the new version. And, we're working on getting GGA into that! ;-)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 00:47 by Anders Blom »

Offline jdgayles16

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 20:40 »
Question?

Would a more high end GPU help or would geting one be a waist of time and money?

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 21:27 »
Not help.