Author Topic: Help about basis set parameter  (Read 2881 times)

Offline abhishek_sharmacct

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Help about basis set parameter
« on: July 28, 2010, 17:09 »
 Hello!

I want to know in depth that what is exactly meaning and physical interpretation of different basis set and basis set parameters used in calculation. How i can know that particular basis set and basis set paremetesr are appropriate for calculation for given system. Please help me .

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Help about basis set parameter
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 23:40 »
These points are discussed quite a lot in the literature ("our" basis sets are not unique to ATK). You can find a lot of good information by searching on e.g. Google for "basis set zeta". Note that most of those discussions pertain to Gaussian (GTO) or Slater (STO) type orbitals, however; ATK uses localized orbitals, which work a bit differently, although they have many features in common.

It would be hard to sum it up in a few words in a Forum discussion, but very generally speaking, the localized basis set used in ATK have the following features (non-exhaustive list):

• SIESTA numerical orbitals
  • Closely resemble atomic orbitals, which is a very nice thing, esp. for localized properties like dopants
  • Angular part described by solid (not spherical) harmonics, which is more suitable for solid state systems
  • Finite range, which gives sparse matrices (and a cheap description of vacuum)
  • Generally much fewer basis orbitals needed than for plane waves = smaller matrices = less memory for large systems
  • Non-variational, no simple way to extend it systematically to converge in basis set size
  • Not as precise as plane waves (primarily for the reason above)

I encourage anyone with input on the topic to share their experiences with the community here!

Some useful links, mostly about the SIESTA method:
http://iopscience.iop.org/0953-8984/14/11/302/
http://www.mcc.uiuc.edu/summerschool/2005/week_one_lectures/miguel_pruneda/