Author Topic: Error when installing ATK 10.8.0  (Read 9722 times)

Offline ziand

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Error when installing ATK 10.8.0
« on: July 28, 2010, 19:01 »
Hallo,

when I tried to install ATK 10.8 (atk-10.8.0.5054-windows.exe) on Windows XP, a strange error appeared. The Installation process was nearly finished when the attached message appeared (see vcredist_error.png).

Before the installation I downloaded atk-10.8.0.5054-windows.exe to my local home directory, at drive C: and I want to intsall it to D:\Software\Quantumwise\atk-10.8.0 which is also on a local drive.

Another strange thing: After I cancelled the installation, there was a cryptic folder D:\04fcc5f34a9040a95a3fe3a679 with files inside that sound like they have something to do with this vcredist stuff (like some eula-texts, some dlls, vc_red.cap, vcredist.bmp, and others).

Anyway, I will mostly use the linux version (which I try to install next), so I just write this topic to help you fixing what looks like a bug.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Error when installing ATK 10.8.0
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 23:05 »
Thanks for posting the error, which i believe we have never seen before. Actually, the VC++ Runtime is not ours, it's a Microsoft product which needs to be installed alongside ATK to make it run, thus we have no control over it whatsoever.

The error message comes from the installer, which has detected that the VC++ installer ended with an error code. It cannont however show what the error was, but probably the logfile indicated in the error message (vcredist_x86.log in the "temp" directory) contains more detailed information, which can help us solve or at least understand the issue. If you could post that, it would be great!

The folder you found on D: is a temporary folder into which VC++ is unpacked. It would have been deleted upon successful installation, so you can just remove it.

Offline ziand

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Re: Error when installing ATK 10.8.0
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:50 »
Well, I tried it again and it worked now (also the linux installation was ok). I could not find the log-file, but there where some logs with similar names. I think the problem was, that there was another vc++ installer running, that did not terminate correctly. We had to rebuild the operating system shortly before, so I installed lots of software on that day. Maybe a simple restart of windows the solution for this problem.