Author Topic: How to set the K point sampling for DOS calculating(version 10.8)  (Read 11473 times)

Offline eastnobil

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
For ATK10.8, the K point samplings for DOS calculating and caculator setting are segregative. How to set the K point sampling for DOS calculating? Is it the same with the calculator setting? I has calcualted a semiconductor GNR(graphene nanoribbon). From band structure the energy gap is observed. But the energy gap miss when the same K point sampling is set for DOS calculating.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
It's set in the same way as for the calculator, i.e. you specify a Monkhorst-Pack grid with a certain number of points. The proper setting for a 1D ribbon would thus be (1,1,N). Beyond that it's hard to venture a guess without seeing a script or a plot.

Offline eastnobil

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Thanks for your reply. The calculating detail will be depicted as following:
This is my calculating example which is an armchair graphene nanoribbon (see AGNR.jpg)
The calculator is set to "Extended Huckel" and the K Point Sampling is set to 1X1X15. After running this job, the bandstructure is obtained(see Bandstructure.bmp). The energy gap is found from that plot.
Using the same K points sampling, the DOS plot is shown in DOS(1X1X15).jpg. From this plot, The energy gap can not be found. When the K points sampling increases to 1X1X30 (see DOS(1X1X30).jpg), the energy gap appears.

Why can not observe the right result from DOS plot by setting the same K points sampling as calculator?

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
I see your dilemma. The "number of k-points" you need to compare is not those used for the calculation, but those used for the band structure. If you have 100 k-points on the band structure plot, then you need the same for DOS to make it reflect the same results.

Ultimately, as will all quantities, it's a matter of increasing the k-points until the results don't change. Clearly 1x1x15 is too little, there is almost no structure in the DOS at all.