Author Topic: Graphene Junction Device - an error  (Read 11159 times)

Offline luca1982

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Graphene Junction Device - an error
« on: February 7, 2011, 17:46 »
I know that this is only a tutorial but I am having an error when running the script conductance_t.py (on a Linux OS) from the tutorial on graphene junction (http://www.quantumwise.com/documents/tutorials/GrapheneJunctionDevice/XHTML/chap.conductance.html).

The error is the following one

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/9875255242915934.py", line 16, in <module>
    import pylab
  File "./build/atkpython/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pylab.py", line 1, in <module>
  File "./build/atkpython/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py", line 206, in <module>
  File "./build/atkpython/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl.py", line 1, in <module>
  File "./build/atkpython/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/artist.py", line 5, in <module>
  File "./build/atkpython/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/transforms.py", line 34, in <module>
ImportError: /home/liviu/QuantumWise/atk-11.2.b1/atkpython/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/_path.so: undefined symbol: _ZNSs4_Rep20_S_empty_rep_storageE
NanoLanguageScript execution failure

When checking in the directory

atkpython/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

I have noticed that the python files are there but there extension .py is now .pyc

A small search on internet lead to this

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/378127/pyc-to-py-files

It seems that this error is related to the use of different version of python or something. I started recently to learn and to use python so I am not able to detect why this is happening but I started to work on it.  ;)

Meanwhile I would appreciate any ideas from the more advanced python programmers or from the more advanced VNL/ATK users.

Thank you in advance!

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Graphene Junction Device - an error
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2011, 21:52 »
First of all, thank you for reporting the error in such detail, it helps for troubleshooting.

This particular one is a known problem, however unfortunately we do not, as of yet, have a solution available. It probably has something to do with library incompatibilities between our build machines and your Linux distribution. It is not related to py/pyc; a pyc file delivers the same functionality as a py file except it doesn't allow you to look at the code, not so easily at least.

We are working on finding a fix for this issue, but cannot promise when. It does not affect any core capability in ATK, only the plotting, so for now I will have to recommend you to plot the results using a different solution, or run ATK on Windows if you have possibility, there matplotlib works fine. At least for this tutorial, the plot of the results is rather trivial, it's just a simple graph, so using Gnuplot or something else should be easy.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2011, 21:54 »
By the way, it would help to know which Linux version you are using (precisely) and also if you downloaded the GLIBC 2.3 version of ATK, or the "usual" one?

Offline luca1982

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2011, 09:10 »
1. I am using Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) released in October 2010.
2. The ATK version I am using is the usual one. I've downloaded and tested this morning the GLIBC 2.3 version of ATK and it works fine.

Thank you for your answer!

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2011, 09:29 »
You mean with the GLIBC 2.3 version you could do the matplotlib plot? That's interesting.